Course: Puppet Tales for Children, Ages 4 to 5
Storytelling Arts in Education: Early Childhood Stimulation
Puppetry and storytelling classes for young children and their caregivers
Classes embrace children's social and emotional well-being
Who Children ages Four to Five and their caregiver
What Bringing Stories to Life for Young Children
Where Teacher’s Home Studio and Online as needed
When Typically offered in 4 to 8 week blocks, once a week, 75 minutes
• Storytelling enhances oral speech, hearing, and language development. A child begins to attach meaning to words and sounds, gains the ability to discern language and develops a working vocabulary.
• Puppetry is welcoming, inclusive, inspires awe and contributes to shared universality.
• Emotional Social Learning (ESL) promotes engaging with others, developing empathy and regulating emotions.
• Pods of up to 3 children, an adult family member with each child, gather weekly for course participation
• Various weekly time blocks available, family assigned to one time block/cohort
• Pretend play-based, supported with story prose, verse/nursery rhyme, song speech and movement
• Support the refinement of language development in the adult brain and in the brain of young child
• Develop protective factor of resilience through attachment and relationship between adult and child
• Build a child’s mental imagery through pretend play and utilizing active imagination
• Develop voice for storytelling to build warmth, wonder, and meaning through heart-felt sharing
• Learn ways to promote, support and protect the hearing of young children
• Lean into trust, exploration and courage through the process of imitation and creation
• Build adult’s confidence for incorporating storytelling and puppetry in the home
• Explore techniques for puppet crafting and sharing a variety of puppet forms and staging
• Utilize storytelling as an educational vehicle for learning action equals consequences
Program is provided at no charge to families
Teacher Credential and Qualities
• Sandy Kerns, MEd, MSW, LCSW
• Master of Science Degree in Educational Leadership, Master of Science Degree in Social Work and Licensed Clinical Social Worker
• 37 year combined teaching counseling career in educational, community, and private practice settings
• A caring teacher sensitive to the needs of children and their families
• Class atmosphere of respect, motivation and joy
• A teacher that holds thoughtful space for child’s development at their own pace
Please contact us for registration information and group dates.